Writing + Present Perfect vs. Past Simple
Do you like Australia? Would you like to revise tenses in English? → Read on:
Brainstorming and a small project
- Do you know which country is named Down under sometimes?
- It is not so difficult to find it in the web.. when you find it out – try to guess why it is called this way
Maybe you know what a mind map is? – if not – let me give you a hint: it is a simple sketch with the main idea placed in the middle of a page and sub-ideas attached to it, those sub-ideas may have also their own sub-categories and under each sub-idea or sub-category you put example words 🙂
Please make a mind map of Australia, which will contain all the most important associations and facts that you can gather about the country. (If you would like to I can make an example mind map of a different country and send to you). Possible Ideas can be: places, people, culture, other things.
- Do you know anyone that has ever been to Australia?
- What can a tourist see or do in Australia?
- How would you spend a month there?
- Would you rather go surfing, have a beach barbecue or go scuba diving?
- What’s Uluru? And what’s Great Barrier Reef?
- Please watch this nice video and narrow the ‘Top 10 list’ into ‘Top 5’ according to your opinion about the country’s attractions:
- And… write a short (about 250 words) article about a chosen city/town and about what someone can see and do there.
Just a small tenses revision ↓
Past Simple or Present Perfect:
- ‚This is my house.’ ‚How long have you lived here?’ ‚I __________(live) here since 1997.’
- He lived in London for two years and then he _________ (go) to Edinburgh.
- When I left school, I cut my hair and __________ (wear) it short ever since.
- Shakespeare _________(write) a lot of plays.
- My brother __________ (write) several plays. He has just finished his latest.
- I ____________(not see) him for three years. I wonder where he is.
- He ____________(not smoke) for two weeks. He is trying to give it up.
- Chopin ___________(compose) some of his music in Majorca.
- ‚When ___________(he/arrive)?’ ‚He arrived at 2 o’clock.’
- I read his books when I was at school. I ______________(enjoy) them very much.
- I can’t go out because I ___________(not finish) my work yet.
- ‚I __________(never/drink) whiskey.’ ‚Well, have some now!’
- Here are your shoes. I ________(just/clean) them.
- I left home at 8.00a.m. and I ____________(get) here at 12.00p.m.
- I ____________(meet) him last June.
- __________ (you/see) the moon last night?
- Cervantes _____________ (write) Don Quixote.
- He ________(break) his leg in a skiing accident last year.
1 Jim: How many times __________(you/try) to pass your driving test?
Michael: Three times so far.
2 When ____________(you/go) to Rome?
3 You look different. _________ (you/have) a haircut?
4 I ____________(not/see) David at all this week. I don’t even know where he is.
5 Jim: ______________ (you/speak) to Peter yet?
Michael: No, not yet.
6 When _________(you/start) your job?
7 I _________ (move) house three times in the last five years.
8 My sister ___________(be) to New York three times and she’s going again next month.
9 The US President ___________(be) in our country last year.
10 The US President ____________(visit) our country three times in the last two years.
⇒ Feel free to send your answers on my e-mail – I will check them for free and with pleasure 😀
Let’s keep in touch — Your teacher,
P.S. Don’t forget to subscribe to the newsletter next to / under this post to get presents and interesting info 😉